Sunday, November 4, 2007

Look at that!

I've just been tagged with a meme. Luckily, Scully has taken Khubz out to the women's basketball game so Mommy time is officially at hand. . .

This meme has been described in a couple ways.
Check out Alex Year One for details.

Ten Literary Ladies & Trans Folks I Would Greet with a Bottle of Red Wine and possibly with a Mystery Package with a Return Address Marked "Open Enterprises"
  1. Jess from Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg. I know s/he wasn't totally ethical through the whole book but s/he was in the midst of seriously fucked up shit and I think things would be quite different now. I'd at least enjoy the cuddle.
  2. Idgie from Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg. Come on. I know she made your list, too.
  3. Shug Avery from the Color Purple by Alice Walker. I hope she'd sing.
  4. Gilda from the Gilda Stories by Jewelle Gomez. I have always had a thing for vampires.
  5. Lilith from the Bible. Bad, bad woman. Good, good time.
  6. Geraldine Granger from the Vicar of Dibly. Really, I'd take Dawn French just about anyway she'd like to come.
  7. Lois of Dykes to Watch Out for by Alison Bechdel. Maybe Hillary, too. Definitely Jezzana.
  8. Medusa. What can I say? I love the very idea of a dangerous, angry woman who won't let men even look at her.
  9. Jack Sparrow in Pirates. He may not be a fag, but he is definitely a gender bender. And he'd make such a pretty girl.
  10. Nacha from Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. She was the one who taught Tita the recipes & magic in the first place.
  11. Scully from X-files. Okay, I don't really have a thing for Gillian Anderson. There is another Scully, however, for whom I would definitely break out the red wine.
  12. (oh yeah and--late addition) Viola/Cessario from Twelfth Night. Here's my favorite part when Olivia asks what Viola would do if Olivia refused her: Make me a willow cabin at your gate, And call upon my soul within the house; Write loyal cantons of contemned love And sing them loud even in the dead of night; Halloo your name to the reverberate hills And make the babbling gossip of the air Cry out 'Olivia!' O, You should not rest Between the elements of air and earth, But you should pity me! For real, peoples, wouldn't you open a bottle of red wine on that one?

What fun! Thanks!

So let me tag The Fledgling Lesbian & Two Shews & Rivolta (who better list weirdo Mulder on her list.) And don't worry. You can list boys (if you must.)

4 comments:

dawn224 said...

Idgie! Oh! I think I might have switch for her - she's great!

Veronica Foale said...

Great list! I have this meme half done somewhere, maybe I ought to dig it out.

Anonymous said...

hmmm Jack Sparrow, I didn't know that Pirates of the Carribbean was considered literature.
Scully(not of theX files)

Rivolta said...

Oh my god! Does this mean you are going to be my date for the X-Files premier?