Thursday, April 3, 2008

Good Idea. . . Bad Idea

Good Idea: Scully & I just taught Khubz to raise her fist in the air when we shout "revolution!"

Bad Idea: Binging on icecream because I'm anxious about not having gotten my period

Good Idea: Greeting poets all month long! Please go put some Lucille Clifton in your ears. You can thank me later.

Bad Idea: Continuing to eat my lunch at a minority health disparity conference after the lunchtime speaker said "The only threat to this country's national security that is greater than terrorism is. . . " (any guesses? You guessed!) "Obesity."

Good Idea: Leaning over to my friend and saying "I fuckin hate being a double threat." It's true. My sister reminded me that they'll never let me on the plane now.

Bad Idea: Making a move towards the carrot cake even as the woman continued

Good Idea: Scully & I had been having a text conversation all morning about which of us was having a harder day. After I sent her the above quote I got a very sweet "you win."

Bad Idea: Attending an ISM/anti-oppression workshop at that same conference where the speaker's main point was "well it (racism) goes both ways"

Good Idea: Getting up and leaving the workshop before my fucking head exploded. No it does not actually go both ways. NO it is not all about mean words & hurt feelings. It is actually about infant mortality rates and poverty and deportation and rape and who does/does not have a grocery store on their side of town and who can/cannot get onto the fucking bus which stops running at 7 anyway and whether Scully & Khubz & I are all safe together and it is not is NOT is NOTNOTNOT about whether some person of color said something mean to you when you were in 7th grade. Jesus! (as I said, very, very good idea to leave)

Excellent idea: Getting the girlchild in bed on time while she was still in a good mood and coming downstairs to do some writing.

Even more better excellent idea: I'm taking a poetry workshop later this month at the public library. By myself.

An additional very great idea: Khubz & I are going with some good friends on an AIDS walk (at toddler speed) on the 12th.

Also a quite stellar idea: Khubz & I are escaping to iowa this weekend. Scully will study her patootie off and we'll all get to play on Sunday (inshallah) when we get back.

Good for the earth though possibly a bit trying for me idea: I am carpooling with a work friend up to Iowa. She's lovely & I'm dropping her off at her niece's house (her niece who has baby goats that Khubz will love to see) but I'm quite used to making the drive with just me & my sleeping girlchild and my ipod, fully loaded with nerdy public radio shows. Still, how can you argue about carpooling?

No comments: